The Department of Justice (DoJ) today dismissed the Laude family’s fear that the American soldier who killed Jeffrey alias Jennifer Laude Marine Lance Corporal Joseph Scott Pemberton would be released immediately.
Department of Justice Usec. And Spokesman Markk Perete that the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) will not continue processing Pemberton’s release order.
“As a matter of procedure, the BuCor will not process Pemberton’s release pending resolution of the MR,” Perete said.
Perete explained that BuCor will not process Pemberton’s release papers first because Jenifer Laude’s family lawyers still have a Motion for Reconsideration (MR) pending in court.
He said it was part of the process not to continue processing Pemberton’s release until a decision was made on the motion of Laude’s camp.
BuCor Director Gerald Bantag had earlier said that processing of Pemberton’s release order had been stopped because the case was still being appealed.
Laude’s legal counsel, Atty. Virgie Suarez expects on Monday that the Court will hear their motion questioning the Olongapo Regional Trial Court (RTC) order that Pemberto be released.
At the same time, the lawyer also issued a grievance on the court order to release the soldier.